Friday, April 22, 2011

Smackerwackerfantastic


So we have this game we call smackerwackerfantastic. It’s the most amazingly awesomeness-packed activity. I dunno, I guess some weirdos call it “tetherball,” or something totally lame like that. Anyway, it’s awesome, because the object of the game is to get the ball entirely wrapped up around the pole in YOUR direction (not your oponent’s direction) while simultaneously either missing it when you try to hit it or taking one right in the pie hole. Kids are supposed to lose their teeth anyway, right?

I decided the other day to take the boys on a walk to the local public school. There’s a playground there, and I figure if nothing else, I can somehow exact my vengeance upon the tax code by at least using the facilities mischievously (my kids go to a school where they can learn about novel stuff like Biblical ethics). Imagine my hooliganesque delight when I stepped onto the property and discovered two completely unattended smackerwackerfantastic poles calling out to us. Oh snap. It’s on.

And we had tons of fun. You know, there’s a lot to be said for making time (instead of complaining that you just don’t have enough) to do something totally analog with your kids. Leave the smartphone at home, dads. And moms. Take your face out of the social drug dispensary for 30 minutes and enjoy your kids. You’d be surprised how awesome they are. I know I was refreshed by my little warriors—you know, all they really want is to be in your life. And one way or another, they’ll get your attention.

So we played a game that we invented a few years ago (actually while on a little retreat to Hawaii). We walked to and from, stretching the legs a little. And when we got home, wanna know what we did? We played chess! Me, my seven year old and my 2 year old. The best part was hearing my oldest say, “checkmate.” At least it was until I realized he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment