Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Small Business and Faith


It's not easy to startup and run a small business, especially when the economy is so uncertain. I haven't been around long, but I've been around long enough to know that the outlook now is historically bleak.

My little biz, C. P. White Media, Limited Company, has been up and running officially now for over a year. Unofficially, it's been around since 2008 or so, when I finally started going all-in as a writer. I have been a part of other ventures, but this one is unique because it's all mine. I'm calling the shots on this one. If nothing else, it's a point of pride for me that I've managed to complete the first project (the Flying Cowboy book) and bring it to market while simultaneously keeping the company afloat and steering it past that ominous first year marker.

The funny thing about history is that it looks different from the back. When you're staring down big decisions, in other words, they loom large. When you're looking back and you can see things from the perspective of eventual outcomes, it tends to seem like anticlimax. Right now my little business is in that uncharted inbetween; that invisible bridge in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade right in front of it. Though I can't see where my feet are going to tread on the next step, I have to believe something's gonna be there when my foot comes down. And if it is, great. If not, I know what failure feels like and I'm not afraid of it anymore.

That's what I'm trying to communicate here. For all you writers out there, for all you entrepreneurs--you know what I'm talking about. For anyone who has dared to engage the possibilities in your life, I'm right inside your wheelhouse, aren't I? Because while possibility might mean that your dreams can finally come true, it also might mean that your nightmares will come to life and start walking right through your living room. It's not easy, is it, to even begin to try to live out your calling, destiny, purpose, whatever you want to call it.

But while sales aren't what I'd hoped they'd be, and while my margins are slim to none, I'm not even thinking of quitting. It's sacrilege to even write it out. I'm going to keep going.

Me and my ragtag team of advisors and participants have more projects lined up. The Jammy Books will be going e-crazy soon on the iPad, and you'll be able to color them digitally. How cool is that. We're working on developing two more books this summer, and if all goes well you'll be able to buy them by Christmastime. We may even be developing our own line of--get this--jammies. And that will be awesomeness incarnate.

I'm not sure 100% how it will come about. But I've come this far and by all rights I shouldn't be here. Sometimes the "company car" is held together with spit and bailing twine but you know what, it gets from point A to point B fair enough. To put it another way, it's not a big deal to step out of a boat and walk on top of the water if you don't even care about getting wet. I press on to the goal. Thanks for journeying with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment